Tuesday 15 May 2012

Gluten free picnic food for the jubilee - part 1

I was asked if I fancied coming up with some recipes and ideas for gluten free picnic food suitable for the jubilee. So I have come up with a few ideas so far of things, small, easily portable, and of course gluten free.

One of the reasons we made, sorry attempted to make,  red and blue biscuits the other day, that went wrong was to be part of this. I used the recipe from Gluten Free Baking by Phil Vickery that he sent me last year.

  • into a bowl with 80g cooking margarine, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of salt and 75g caster sugar. Mix to fine breadcrumbs.
  • Add 1 medium egg ( or in our case egg replacer egg), 1 teaspoon glycerine and bring together on a floured surface. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 1hr
  • roll out dough and cut to required shapes, and cook for 15-20mins at 200oC
  • cool on a wire rack and decorate as you see fit. I did mine with red/white/blue icing but we were not artistic enough to do as union jack, may do later when children not around

we used cocktail sticks to keep icing roughly in the right place







We made some stripy ones and some just in single colours.










I love couscous, and it is quick and easy to make, nutritional to eat, and so so versatile. But it is not gluten free. So as this is a posh occasion I thought we would make something a bit more up market, and as, hopefully, it will be warm and sunny I am doing cold Quinoa with fruit added.


fruity quinoa with cold meat and salad

I soaked a selection of fruits, I used barberries, white mulberries , black mulberries, blueberries, dried sour cherries, and some very cherry berry raisins   that I soaked in red wine I had warmed to bring out all the flavours. I made up the Quinoa by cooking in water  for 15 mins. Left to cool, and then added to drained fruit.


Now while I was soaking the fruit for the fruity Quinoa I just soaked more for a Fruity red wine barm cake, you can pop over here and read the recipe. I used the red wine as my tea this time, and oohhh it tasted amazing. The fruit was so juicy and sweet and plumped up.





Lastly for this post I made quiche. I used the gluten free pastry recipe from here.


  • I fried off 4 slices chopped bacon with     
  • 2 onions and
  • 4 tomatoes
Next 
  • I mixed 4 eggs with 
  • half a pint of milk
  • 1 teaspoon paprika and
  • 1 teaspoon onion salt
  • and added 4 oz grated cheese
  • then stirred through the fried ingredients

  • Roll out the pastry and cut circles to suit the size of you bun tin
  • fill the cases with eggy mix and cook for 20 mins at 180 oC


Some of the ingredients were provided by my sponsor Healthy Supplies, but the choice of recipe and the findings are my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice to see you stopping by. Thank you for your comment and I hope you stop by again.