Thursday 26 April 2012

Baking variations on a theme

I love the recipe for Irish barm cake, so quick, so easy, and fat free. Its very simple basically you
No 1 coconut water cake

  • soak 4 oz dried fruit of your choice in 12oz (14oz if using gluten free flour) hot tea and leave to soak till cool. 
  • Measure 10 oz flour and 5 oz sugar into a bowl, ( I use coconut sugar) stir to combine and then add the cold tea and fruit to make a sloppy mixture. 
  • Pour into a loaf tin and cook for approx 45 mins at 160 oC. 
  • If using gluten free it works better as muffins rather than a loaf, adjust cooking time to approx 18 mins
So I thought for a change we would ring the changes and try different "teas" and flours to make different textures. I may add I use 4 oz raisins/sultanas plus 4 dried figs and 4 dries apricots that I soak with the raisins and then chop with scissors once soaked.


  • No1 we used coconut water as our "tea" and einkorn flour. This made for a different flavour but not really aware of the coconut flavour, but you gain from the fabulous nutritional value of it,


No 2 apple and cinnamon with Kamut flour
No2 we used apple and cinnamon tea for our tea with Kamut flour. This made for a rather heavy "muffin" but you get away with that as they are so moist. The flavour is just awesome and they are very moreish










No3 to the back No 4 at front


  • No 4 we used orange and carrot juice as our "tea", diluted down to 12 oz. also added  sunflower/sesame/pumpkin and melon seeds  but this time I  blended the seeds once soaked.. I used doves farm plain flour to which I added 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon of Xanthan gum. This had a delicious flavour and the carrot made it pleasantly sweet. These were not quite as moist as the others,  therefore they tasted heavier. If I make them again I would add some more fluid, though they did seem ok when raw. 
The products with links were supplied by Healthy Supplies, but the findings remain honest and my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you once again for sharing your super-tasty barm cakes!!

    I did state at the time I wasn't sure if I could accept a variation on the original recipe, however I must eat my words LOL :0)

    The carrot addition was nice and sweet- they were drier than the others, but I did enjoy them.

    The apple and cinnamon tea recipe is an equal favourite to the star anise tea recipe in my opinion.

    I cannot fault barm cake. Its delicious!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Nice to see you stopping by. Thank you for your comment and I hope you stop by again.