Monday 13 February 2012

More messing with pastry - yummy result

If you follow me regularly you will know I attempted to make puff pastry the other week following a recipe from a fellow bloggers site Helene at Tartlette, but didnt have a huge amount of success, the 2nd batch may have been perfectly edible but was not puff - thought it did have a few layers. This allergy free recipe experimenting is very complex and what works for one person does not always work for another. I have never mastered light airy well risen scones even when using the same ingredients, method and oven as a friend when I tried it many years ago, they may taste nice but dont rise.



So I went back to the drawing board, trying to think back to the home economic classes of my school days, way back in the mid 70's before a lot of you were even a twinkle. Then mixing it with what I know now and the experimentation with making light airy pancakes, and so my new recipe was born.


Cheese pastry fun-as-a-gran method


First off I took 2 oz dairy free marge and froze it for a couple of hours because I remember grating block butter and lard in pastry way back at school, well soft marge wont grate so I froze it.

I took 5 oz doves farm gluten free flour and added 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and grated in 1 1/2 oz of the frozen marge (froze 2oz so I had something to hold), and grated in 2 oz cheese.

I mixed  4oz of natural yoghurt with 2 tablespoon sunflower oil and a teaspoon mustard and added to the flour mix and hand mix to a pastry consistency.

Placed mix in a fridge for 1 hr, then rolled out and cut shapes, and cooked at 180oC for approx 8 mins.

verdict, light cheesy and delicious,not truly a puff pastry but was light without the true layers.  Even hubby ( who had no idea what was in them) ate them and enjoyed them and went back for more, would make a great addition to a party table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice to see you stopping by. Thank you for your comment and I hope you stop by again.